Monday 7 March 2011

this and that

Deep yellow crocuses coming out in the garden and little blue grape hyacinths. It's been dry for a while, so the river is a long way down.

Busy week last week, wedding shopping with Lady Sunshine and The Lassie, physio, theatre with best friend, and lots of this and that.

In the middle of all this thissing and thatting, I passed the tiny bookshop in the wee town near us, and there in the window was The Phantom Tollbooth by Norton Juster. Now, there is a book I have longed to re-read. It's a children's book, and I think I was ten when I first read it, but is a brilliant read at any age. Every time you read it, it gets better.

AND while I was in there I asked if James Thurber's wonderful 'The Thirteen Clocks and the Wonderful O' is still in print. Whoopee, it is, and it's now on order. (Honestly, I don't usually buy books at this rate.) I forget how old I was when I first read it but I know it nearly asphyxiated me because I laughed so much I couldn't breathe.

Any other favourites? Anyone?

6 comments:

Grace said...

Oh! Its cool you've read The Phantom Tollbooth! I read it for a class called F&F. It was a realy cool book!
What are my favorite books? Mistmantle Chronicles of corse!
Another good book (That you have not wrote) is a book called Westmark. We had to read it in class. It had a bad word, but I couldn't see it because they put white out on it. It still is a good book though!

Rina said...

Oooh! Westmark! That was a fabulous book. Did you ever read the sequels, Grace?

Those're sad books. Especially the last one. But very good.

margaret mcallister said...

Who wrote the Westmark books? I'll look out for them

Rina said...

The wonderful Lloyd Alexander...same one as wrote the Prydain Chronicles. Both are recommended.
I had something funny happen to me with Westmark - I accidentally read the third book in the series before I read the other two. Needless to say I was very confused.
(Here's the proper order:
Westmark
The Kestrel
The Beggar Queen)

margaret mcallister said...

Thanks, Rose! I remember reading one of the Prydain books long ago.

Grace said...

Dear Rose,
No I have not read the sequels yet. Where did you get them? Was it just the library? I like Westmark because I like writing fantasy books and most of mine have monarchys. :D