Wednesday 16 March 2011

parrot

Yesterday, after I'd been to see the physio, I popped into a charity shop and saw, in the cuddly toys box, a parrot. So that's it, I thought. I'll be a pirate.

I called at the toyshop and asked if they sold hats for pirates. They did, and what's more it comes complete with eye patch and - er - a parrot. A pirate with a parrot is one thing, but a pirate with a parrot and a parrot is new to me, in fact its a parody of piracy. However, it's a small parrot on the hat and a big colourful parrot on my shoulder, so they don't know about each other. The parrot on my shoulder is safety-pinned to my shirt and keeps falling over. Need to do some work on that. I tried the eye patch, but it limits my vision and tickled, so I think I'll discard it.

Lovely younger son lent me a sword. Not one of the real ones. So off I go to toddlers tomorrow. Hat, parrots, baggy shirt, belt and sword, stripy trousers and boots, and it's yo ho ho and a bottle of organic apple juice.

For those who don't know what this is about, put Red Nose Day or Comic Relief into a search engine. It was started some years ago by a lot of comedians who wanted to raise money for famine relief, and is now a big national thing, led by lots of famous people giving their time and talents free, but involving anyone who's willing to 'do something funny for money', and all those who sponsor, give, whatever. Health projects, education, clean water, feeding the hungry - all good stuff.

2 comments:

Rina said...

Neeps! I hope the parrots don't get in an argument. Hope the costume turns out well...

margaret mcallister said...

Hi Rose! I love 'neeps'! In Scotland it means mashed swedes, but in future I will use it as an exclamation. The parrots were looking in different directions and were unaware of each other.