Monday 14 March 2011

as I was saying

As I was saying last time, sad things happen. You get older and lose touch with friends or family. Years later, you find yourself saying 'I wonder what happened to her? We used to get along so well'.

And sometimes death comes all of a sudden, and the people who are left behind aren't ready for it. That's a hard thing to handle. It's even harder if you think 'I wish I'd told him this', or 'we were always going to have a day out together' or 'I should have visited him more'. And the worst thing of all is if you've had some falling out and never made it up.

Send a card, send an e-mail, pick up the phone. Go and say 'hi, how are you?' Do something daft together. Have fun. If they don't want to know, at least you've tried.

On a lighter note, I still don't know what to dress up as for Red Nose Day. Rose suggested a butterfly, which sounds lovely, but might be too difficult. Oldest god-daughter think a fairy godmother would be good, but it might not be practical to wear while supervising a room full of very small people. A pirate is a possibility (but is it a good role model?) Or maybe I'll wear white and stick red bobbles all over it.

Any more thoughts?

5 comments:

Deborah said...

How about Mother Goose?? You have the gift of stories. Do children still know who Mother Goose is?????

Rina said...

Yes... the butterfly wings are a bit much work. Coathangers don't give up without a fight.
Or you could try Little Red Riding Hood, if you have anything red to wear.

Grace said...

What is Red Nose day? It must have something to do with coustumes so a good coustume would be... um. Oooh! Oooh! Maybe you could dress up as Goldie-Locks. She isn't the best insporation though. Breaking into peoples homes, eating their food, breaking their stuff...she needs to apoligize!
On other thought you could dress up as one of your charicters. Anyone got an otter coustume?
-Grace

Grace said...

Oh Mrs. McAllister! I forgot to mention that in Geogia I got an otter at an aquarium and I named it Fingal. :D

margaret mcallister said...

Deborah - I never thought of that one! I don't know if children do know about MG. But a hard one to dress up in, and even harder to supervise children! I remember a village church pantomime years ago where they did a wonderful MG costume with the help of the local turkey farmer!

Rose -I think the coathangers might win! But you've got me thinking about making butterfly wins for my little god-daughters.

Grace - when I told my children about Goldilocks I finished it with her mother taking her back to the bears' house to apologise and help clear up! the mess! And baby bear gets some more porridge, and his chair is mended. I hated to think of that little bear crying.

I've put some stuff about RND on the blog.

A Fingal! You have a Fingal! That is fantastic! Send him my love, won't you?