Sunday 2 March 2014

Oscars and other awards

This has been a good weekend. I chatted with the Young Book Group at the Library on Friday, and had a wonderful time with a lot of eager, book-loving young people. One librarian has found time in her busy schedule to get this group together and they are a delight. On Saturday I chanced to meet the father of one of Daughter's old school friends. School friend is thriving, and travelling the world taking wonderful photographs. Tony has been away for a singing weekend and came back brimful of music and happiness. (And I didn't have to bother cooking all weekend. Result!) And it's Oscars night tonight.

I don't actually care who wins what, or who wears what, or whether they cry when they make a speech. It's good that people who do a job well are given some acclaim for it. These days there are awards for nurses, teachers and carers, too, but not quite on the scale of the Oscars.

This brings me to LOS when he was younger. Bright, but not top of the class, not a prizewinner. Loved sports, not bad at them, but not a prizewinner. Not bad at music, either ... you get the drift. He was also the one who -

would have a cup of tea waiting for me when I came in from the cold

walked our dog, his aunt's dog, and come to think of it anybody's dog, in all weathers

would see what needed doing and do it

could leave me helpless with laughter (still can)

while at college, put himself in danger to protect a stranger who was being beaten up

(Before anyone knits him a halo he could be a stroppy little beggar as well. His sister got the red hair, he got the attitude. And before they grumble at me, my other two children are amazing, charming and wonderful, too. I may be biased BUT I AM ALSO RIGHT. I'll tell you about them another time if they let me.)

These are things that don't win prizes, but they make the world a better place. So if you know anyone like that - good at the things that don't win prizes, but matter more than those that do, tell them how wonderful they are. Send a card, treat them, big them up. They are our heroes.

And that goes for you, you stroppy little beggar.





2 comments:

Kaitlin said...

This is wonderful! I would love to give a medal to all of those people.

margaret mcallister said...

It's a great privilege to meet the unsung heroes