Wednesday 18 September 2013

Apple

Ooh, you should see my hat. We're having such a good year this year, with the wet spring and the hot summer, the fruit crops are coming on a treat. I got plums and brambles on me hat this year, elderberries, too, it looks a treat and I can always have a nibble if I'm peckish. I heard Mrs saying 'that apple's gone bad, throw it out or it'll set all the rest off,' I was ready to be proper affronted until I realised she were talking about a cooking apple, not me, ooh, I did have a laugh. Mind, I have to hang on to me hat on a windy day or that little dog, that Dodger, would be after it.

This year's cordial should be extra good, I got plenty of vinegar stored up, there's mint in the garden, I got some clove oil to give it a bite. Ooh, she says, there's a maggot in the blackberries, and I says, is it alive? Because if them blackberries ain't harmed the maggot, they won't harm us. And if we get a bit of time at the weekend we can go and pick bilberries. Do you know about bilberries? Bit like blackcurrants, but sweeter, ooh, they're not quite like anything else. When you've tasted bilberries you won't be bothered about blueberries every again, they ain't nearly as nice.

I sometimes used to suspect that when my Urchin were little he didn't always drink his cordial when he were supposed to. You wouldn't know anything about that, would you?

3 comments:

Nina Ruth Bruno said...

I think of the British RAF whenever I think of bilberries, Apple, dear. I think I need some for my own eyes!! :-)

(and while I'm about finding bilberries, which aren't easy to come by this side of the Pond, I think I'll look for a new hat,too!!!) :-)

Unknown said...

Apple, it's good to hear from you.

margaret mcallister said...

Really? Why the RAF? I know carrots were supposed to be good for their eyesight, but was it bilberries too? Enjoy your hat hunt. I'd rather like a cloche.

Very nice to hear from you, too, Sam m'dear, mind you wrap up well, it'll be getting cold before you know it. You want any nice warming cordial, you know where to get it.