Sunday 29 May 2011

Sepia

She of the Stories said that it's windy in the valley today, and the same goes for the island. Little Princess Almondflower wanted to play on the shore and I didn't dare let her. At the very least the sand would have blown into her eyes. Instead, we went to sit on the staircase outside Brother... it's no good, I always want to say Fir - Brother Juniper's turret, and looked down from the window. Every time a treetop shivered and leaves turned silvery in the gust she'd say 'ooh', and when anything flew past - a leaf, a bit of broken branch, or a bird veering off course - it was 'whoosh!'.

I admit I wasn't really listening when she said 'whoosh, FINGAL!', and looked up to see him swinging past the window, waving. A moment later he came again the other way, backwards. Of course, Fingal couldn't blow away in a high wind. He, Tide and Todd had rigged up some ropes from the battlements and were swinging about like acrobats. I didn't tell the princess how they'd done it. She'd want to have a go herself, and she is much too little. It's really too dangerous for Tide, but you know what otters are. I'm glad I'm a squirrel.

Fingal may not fly away in a high wind, but other things do. A little mole in a big cloak took to the air yesterday and it was only a flying leap from Urchin that saved her. I hope Apple has plenty of hat pins.

No comments: