Monday 16 May 2011

An English May

Yesterday morning I was woken by the most beautiful dawn chorus, with sunlight filtering through the blind. From the second floor window I could look down on bright, leafy treetops.

This morning, I'll swear I heard the sparrow coughing by the river. Force Eight gale sweeping rain down the valley. Looked down from the window and couldn't see a thing. Later observations proved that my poor little garden is almost horizontal.


I spent the weekend in the south west, which is always at least five degrees warmer than here. Lovely Older Son, Lady Sunshine, her mother and I were doing a bit of pre-wedding stuff, and I got to meet the people from her home church. There was time to drive round some of those idyllic west country villages, too. Three hours later we were welcomed by Yorkshire wind and rain on the motorway. I need another weekend of wedding stuff.

In the meantime, normal life, or as near as it gets to normal, goes on. Today was a journey across Bronte-esque moorland to a happy wee school near Oldham to launch their Book Fair. This meant some reading, chatting, answering questions, making them laugh, and generally inspiring them about the joy of reading. What a lovely lot they were. And yet again, a small school with a great staff quietly working miracles every day.

No comments: