Tuesday 13 May 2014

What do you call it?

We were leaving Mum and Dad's house recently when he pulled a plant out of the garden and said I could have it if I liked, but I should put it in a pot, not in the open ground, because it takes over. It's called Herb Robert, or otherwise creeping geranium, or cranesbill. Around Britain it seems to have a million names including Candlesticks, Death Come Quickly, and Stinking Bob.

Shortly before that we had been discussing flower arrangements and my sister mentioned cow parsley. There are various kinds of cow parsley, some of them known as meadowsweet or Queen Anne's Lace. I think I know which one she meant. I hope so. Did anyone ask the cow?

Pansies are Heartsease, Love-in-Idleness, or Cat's Face. The Harebell, or Scottish Bluebell, is also Fairy Thimble, With's Thimble, or Ding-Dongs.

When I got home today I reached for Geoffrey Grigson's The Englishman's Flora, which contains detailed listings of British Wildflowers including all their local names and folklore. It's one of those books that I open to look something up and three hours later I'm still there finding bits of fascinating information that could form the basis of a book if I manage to remember them. A lovely book.

You'd think you'd be safe with the common dandelion. But no, they are said to have a certain effect. That's why kids still sometimes call them 'wettybeds'.

Of course the Mistmantle animals know all about plant properties. But does anybody ever ask them?

2 comments:

Clara said...

Oooh, that books sounds delightful!

Do you remember that I told you my story was being published in a book of short stories called Five Glass Slippers? Well, my publisher requested that I find some blogging friends who would be willing to receive an influencer copy of the book, write a review on their blog, and also a review on Amazon between June/July. It's perfectly all right if you are too busy to review the book, or if you just don't want to, I completely understand!

But, if you would like to receive an influencer copy, e-mail me at limwenclara17@gmail.com. Please don't feel as though this is something you have to do! I really don't mind if you don't want to review the book :)

margaret mcallister said...

Will e-mail, Clara! I'm afraid I've been a while, I'm just back from the Big Day!