Wednesday 21 May 2014

Today

Today I did complete the work I had to do, but it wasn't easy.

We don't often get sunny days like this in May, and for the rest of the week it's due to pour. I went out this morning to do the Toddler Group and was in no great hurry to get home. If writing in a cafe was good enough for J K Rowling, it's good enough for me, before the leisurely walk home through the park.

Firstly, the conservatory had been shut all morning and the tomato plants were crawling across the floor looking for an oasis, so I had to attend to them, and any other plants that needed watering, and then I needed watering, or at least, lunch. Then I settled down to work.

Then somebody phoned.

I finally did complete the project I've been working on, and used the memory stick to feed it from one computer to another. While I was doing that, I knew I should take a look and see if anybody's sent any more wedding pictures. And I needed to print them off, because I was going to a meeting tonight and everybody would want to see pictures of my son's wedding.

The next thing was to get down to some re-tellings of Bible stories that I'm preparing for a publisher. No it wasn't. Not on such a lovely day, when I'd been inside all day. I owed myself a walk round the garden. All the plants in pots were so thirsty, I couldn't leave it until tonight's rain. And they needed a little chat, to encourage the ones who were trying really hard and prod the idle peasants who think they can just trail around making leaves all summer. I cut some dodgy looking leaves of the Lichfield Angel rose. I rescued the Tequila Sunrise which was being suffocated by a lupin. I murdered some weeds, and I don't think the greenfly will be back in a hurry. I admired the lily of the valley, the azaleas, the irises - I love irises - and the purple-pink thing.

After that it was time for tea, and getting everything ready that needs to go in the post, and a lovely walk there and back past sweet-smelling gardens with rhododendrons tumbling out of them.

And somebody phoned.

3 comments:

Clara said...

Ah, those wretched phone calls get in the way of so much!:) Your garden sounds lovely...I don't have much of a green thumb, but my Mom and sister are excellent gardeners. I just admire the flowers from a distance and try not to kill anything...

margaret mcallister said...

We've been in this house for less than a year, so most of this is the benefits of someone else's hard work!

margaret mcallister said...

We've been in this house for less than a year, so most of this is the benefits of someone else's hard work!