Friday 30 August 2013

Aim

It's always a good idea to have something to aim for. I've been aiming for the dining room table.

I don't mean THAT sort of aim. I don't mean aim as in squinting along the barrel and taking a potshot while it's grazing because it's open season on dining room tables. In the weeks since we moved in, with half empty boxes and heaps of homeless books everywhere, a lot of stuff ended up in the dining room. The table and chairs were piled up like a bric-a-brac shop. That didn't matter, as Tony and I don't often eat at the dining room table anyway. It's more of Sunday and Special Days thing.

But today was one of those Special Days. The Sunshines arrived today for the weekend, and my aim was that we should all sit round the dining room table together. In between the writing, shopping, washing, and getting to grips with things that needed doing around the house, Tony and I sorted and stuck things in cupboards until we had an island in the middle of the mess. By the time The Sunshines arrived we had a table covered with a gleaming white cloth, four dining chairs and enough room for everyone to get to their places. For the first time in this house we gathered round the table to a family meal.

Daughter and her Chap, meanwhile, are on holiday in Paris, and when she texted she told me where they were having supper tonight. The Eiffel Tower. But what I want to know is, did they have a nice white tablecloth?

No comments: