Thursday 20 June 2013

Angels

I'd love to see an angel, but I think I'd die of fright.

In fact, I'm an honorary angel. Our toddler group is called 'Angels', which sounds like wishful thinking, but then again, Wordsworth said that we come into the world 'trailing clouds of glory' and sometimes the tinies really do seem to be trailing clouds of glory around with them. They might be trailing other things as well, usually a too-big dressing up outfit or the Andrex puppy, or they might be pedalling riotously about on a tricycle, but there is definitely something of the 'clouds of glory' about them.

I'm an Angel on another front, too - I'm delighted to be a Greenbelt Angel. Greenbelt is an annual Christian Arts festival with - well, everything, really. A big Faith and Justice agenda, all kinds of spirituality and music, exhibitions, performing arts, craft workshops, comedy, kids stuff, the works. Tony and I are Greenbelt Angels, which means we give them a little bit of money every month to help ensure that Greenbelt happens. On their latest mailing they quote one of my favourite writers, G K Chesterton -

Angels can fly because they take themselves lightly.

Perhaps we'll have more from GKC one day. And in the meantime, check out Greenbelt.




No comments: