Tuesday 23 October 2012

sad

Our great friends J and C moved away today, called to somewhere new. They have been great supportive friends, and as families we all got on well, and they're such fun! They will leave a big ragged gap in our lives.

This morning Tony and I went along there with the hoover, some dusters and a very silly cobweb brush to help them get turned around. Then, when the van was loaded, the carpets all hoovered and the cupboards cleaned and checked, it was nearly time to go. Only the last few things - washing up bowl, kitchen bin, and so on - still had to be put in the car.

At this point, loading mugs into the washing up bowl, I said, 'what am I doing this for? Why am I helping you go when I want you to stay?' But sometimes it has to be, doesn't it, and it isn't up to us. When the meters were read and the water turned off, it was time to lock up, say a prayer with them, and watch them go.

It's harder for them. We've lost J and C, but they have to start all over again in a new community, which is never easy. At least their children are grown up. Any organisations - companies, charities, churches - that require their staff to move frequently should think long and hard about what it means.

Go well and safely. The help and nurture, the welcome, and the sheer fun and happiness you have brought us is immeasurable. I hope they really appreciate you where you're going. If not, tell me and I shall fall upon them with my cobweb brush.

They're not going too far - near enough for us to arrange a get-together next month. But they have taken a shaft of sunlight with them. And what will we do now for a New Year Party?

5 comments:

Nels said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Nels said...

"Urchin stood still. "I don't want to help him go, sir," he said. Padra sighed. "Neither do I Urchin; neither does any creature in its right mind. But all we can do for him now is give him the best send-off we possibly can."
""I wish I wasn't getting this boat ready. But ready it is, so you may as well tell Padra.""
Took me 5 seconds to get to the book shelf and get it off, 10 more to find the quote :)
Partings can be hard for me too, happy but sad at the same time.

sciencefreak12 said...

I agree with Nels. Hey, mabey you might met somone new, you never know.

margaret mcallister said...

Nels, thank you so much with all my heart for reminding me of this.

You're both right, parting is hard but we can't stand still for ever.

Nels said...

:) Always a pleasure, write you a proper email soon.