Sunday 13 May 2012

And the winner is...

I'm not greatly into football, but you can't bring up two boys in the North-East without getting a bit keen, especially around now, at the end of a season when Newcastle have done well.  (And kept the same manager for a whole year, for a change.)  For those in the know, we are fifth in the Premiership.  For those not in the know, that's a good thing.

But what has Hamilton bouncing up and down in his chair with excitement is that Manchester United didn't win the league this year.  There is a footballing myth, believed in much of the world, that all English people love Man United.  We don't.  Enough said.  Hamilton refers to their manager as Drainface, though I do occasionally remind him that this shows a lack of respect.  It's Sir Alex Drainface to you, I tell him.   What makes it worse is that they were beaten to the top by their local rivals, Manchester City.  Poor old SAD.  (BTW, who taught Hamilton to call him that?  I wonder?)  I suppose there's just this British thing about always wanting David to beat Goliath.

I have been reminded that today is Mothers Day in the US, so to all US mothers - hope you're having a great day, and congratulations on surviving your children!

And finally, Sannie, one of our readers, has just started a new game about author names - keeping your kindling in the P G Woodhouse, decorating your plate with a Conan Doily, etc.   Let's see who can get the most author names into a sentence - I'm working on something about driving a Greene Austen Seven to Tonbridge Wells from London...




4 comments:

Kaitlin said...

I Love this game! Thank you, Sannie and thank you Mrs. McAllister! Applause is being cued over my keyboard!

I'm afraid that (Eleanor) Porter is looking a bit (Henry Rider) Haggard--actually, on second thought, he looks rather (Roger Lancelyn) Greene.
Oh, dear. I'm going nowhere fast! Suppose I'd best (Harriet Beecher) Stowe it!

(Thanks again to both of you for an excuse to re-raid my bookshelf!)

San said...

Oh wow thanks for playing Margi and Kaitlyn! Those are great ones! Let's see...

My sister's gone a little (Oscar) Wilde with her baking tonight, she's made a cake with (Kenneth) Grahame crackers--just hope she doesn't (Frances Hodgson) Burn-ett. Personally I think she's got a screw (C.S.) Lewis!

Kaitlin said...

I've been racking my brains trying to find a fit for C.S. Lewis! Above-lovely job!

margaret mcallister said...

Yes, I was trying to find a Lewis, too! I've put my latest effort on the 15 May blog