Sunday 18 March 2012

From here

From here, I can smell the hyacinths. It's Mothering Sunday and the house is full of flowers. The sun shone on the Sunshines, who were here spending the day with us, and in the afternoon I pottered about the garden, which has suddenly woken up. A wren hopped about in a tree, which made the tree wriggle a bit and think about some buds. There were warm happy phone calls from Daughter and LYS, which helped to make the day.

And it's not only Mothering Sunday, it's Refreshment Sunday. The middle of Lent and an official day off, which means that whatever you've given up for Lent is allowed for one day. I imagine wild-eyed lady vicars cramming chocolate into their mouths and slurping down Chardonnay, but I am a simple soul.

Coffee.

Today I had four cups of coffee. I can face another three weeks on tea.

Of course, we always need to be reminded that Lent isn't about giving things up. It's more about sorting things out. Like what's important and what isn't. Love matters. Justice matters. A sense of proportion matters. Communication matters.

Communication. Storytelling. I'm looking forward to getting to work tomorrow.

1 comment:

Trudy said...

My daughter and I decided to start reading your blog from the date of her second birthday, which was the blog before this one. Thank you for these good Lenten contemplations that are helping me in July of 2021. ❤️