Thursday 15 March 2012

Chime

The chimes of midnight have passed, and I should fall into bed. But I've been away for a few days in God's lovely Northumberland and and so the blog has been silent since Monday. What have I got to tell ou?

I'll tell you that I've just finished reading CHIME, by Franny Billingsley, so huge thanks to - was it you, Debbie? Rina? Caitlin? who recommended it. This is a great story. Excellent characters, atmospheric, beautifully paced and developed, scary, funny, dramatic. It will keep you guessing. And her style is unlike anything else. The phrases zing and thrive. LOVED IT.

2 comments:

Rina said...

... I believe it was me, and I'm glad you liked it! It's amazing fun, that book. Practically written in dialect, but still easy enough to understand, and wow! Briony is sweet and funny and annoying and sad all at once. And I did _not_ expect the surprise in the end at all, despite all the hints. Also Rose is a darling character.

Kaitlin said...

I've yet to read that book (lately, I've been tied to "The Lord of the Rings"), but the reviews on this blog are pushing me to check it out!