Friday 6 January 2012

Take a sleeping bag and move in

Sometimes I seem to spend half my life in the church hall. I was there today for after school club, which was bizarre. Two of the little girls had already fallen out before they got there, and one of our mums had her beautiful new baby boy with her. Now, the sixth form lad who makes the toast and coffee loves babies, and is brilliant with them. I found the mums at work in the kitchen and the the sixth former burping the baby.

Later, Tony, LYS and I went there for the Quiz Night. I'm not normally very competitive, but quizzes? Grr. We lost with honour, coming second by half a mark, and decided that we would have won if we'd only trusted our first answers instead of thinking twice. This may not always be a good plan for life, but it would have won us the quiz.

I tried to explain to Much about what a quiz is. I failed.

Finally, I haven't told you about The Archers for a long time. OK, Tony and Pat did get to see Richard but they weren't allowed to tell him they were his grandparents. Tom has been spitting carpet tacks ever since, but who cares? Will and Nic just got married, so Emma is being very crabby because she used to be married to Will but she left him for his younger brother Ed, having been in love with him all along. She is showing a marked preference for Ed's daughter Keira over Will's son George, who, of course, are half-siblings as well as cousins. And last I knew, David Archer's farm had drainage problems.

An everyday story of country folk, as they say. They should have a Quiz Night.

2 comments:

Kaitlin said...

Thanks for another of your always-delightful posts, Mrs. McAllister!

I've been meaning to tell you how much I enjoyed one of your past posts, in which you shared a link to calligrapher Tess Cooling's site. What lifting work she produces!

Anyhow--I'm not sure if you have heard of the American calligrapher Timothy Botts. His "illuminations" of Scripture, as well as "word pictures" of hymns and poems always leave a song in my heart. His web address is www.timbotts.com

margaret mcallister said...

I'm very glad you like Tess Cooling's work. I find it breathtaking. As soon as I read yur post I looked at Timothy Bott's site. I'd never herd of him and his work is so beautiful and gives so much to focus on. Thank you for elling me about him.

You may also lik Lindisfarne Scriptorium, which is sited on the Holy Island of Lindisfarne off the Northumbrian coast. A calligrapher is now working there, where the seventh century monks used to illustrate the gospels.