Sunday 8 January 2012

Farewell Christmas tree, hello cats

Before I start, let me make it clear - the Christmas tree and the cats are not in the same house.

Here at the House of Stories we have been undecorating. The Lassie is staying this weekend, which gave me a chance to tell stories about the various ornaments I was taking off the tree. My own family have heard it all before. We have a bear and a ladybird that used to be on Dad's Christmas tree when he was a boy (and he's 92). There's the walnut shell cradle and the other toys he made for our children when they were little, and the glittery stars and stockings they made when they were at playgroup. We've bought home made decorations from church and school fairs. Years ago I saw very expensive decorations made from coriander seeds, and made one myself for almost nothing. That still hangs up every year, along with my beaded Santa Claus. There are several different nativity scenes, and a little woodland that catches the light if you turn the fairy lights just so. It's not a themed Christmas tree. It's us. And the little house always goes in the topmost branches.

As for the cats - following the death of darling Sophie, Holly and Harvey have come to live with my sister and brother-in-law. They're rescue cats, but I'm not sure who was being rescued. Harvey is the size of two normal cats and he's the small one.

Look out, mice. You'll get squashed.

No comments: