Sunday 27 February 2011

stories

Six o'clock, the sun going down in a cloudy sky. Grape hyacinth and crocuses coming up in the garden. Peaceful river pattering along. Gnome thoughtful.

Stories, stories, stories. Everywhere I'm hearing about how important stories are. The shortest journey between a human being and the truth is a story. I can't remember who said that, but it's true.

I've been thinking about traditional stories. There are dozens of versions of Cinderella. From Durham comes the famous Lambton Worm, but there are similar stories about overcoming a monster from all over the world. It's dangerous to forget our stories. We can't learn anything from them if we don't know them.

I'm thinking a lot about storytelling. I'm wondering what are the really important stories that need to be told. The Little Red Hen? Stone Soup? The North Wind and the Sun?

What are your best stories?

No comments: