Thursday 13 January 2011

Alfie

A grey, wet and gloomy valley today. But there are lights in windows and fires in hearths.

Yesterday, I was hopping for a first birthday present for a small person, so I went to a bookshop. Babies need books. I was looking at simple board books, but there wasn't much to them. Then I saw a book my one of my heroines, Shirley Hughes. It was 'Alfie's Feet'. I bought it for Small Person to grow into, and in the meantime her parents will love it. Then again, you're never too young or too old for the stories of Alfie and his little sister, Annie Rose.

Shirley Hughes is a national treasure. Her illustrations are breathtaking, capturing so much life, warmth and detail, and her prose is studied simplicity. I've been greatly privileged to meet her, and she doesn't disappoint. So on days like this, I can think of Alfie, splashing joyfully through the puddles in his new yellow boots (on the wrong feet).

No comments: