Monday 25 January 2010

chilly mortal

I am what they call a chilly mortal, or thin-blooded, which means that I feel the cold. In the below zero days earlier this month I was wearing sweaters knitted by my mum for my two boys when they were teenagers going on winter scout camps or skiing trips to Voss. I'm impressed by the way animals grow their own winter warmth - I've seen spherical ponies at this time of year - and I asked Apple about it.

What it is, you know, my dear, what it is, is nobody eats proper warming food these days. You need a good hot stew with plenty of winter veg, doesn't matter if it's a bit old and ropey, you can't tell in a stew, or a good hot soup with a bit of bay leaf and spicy dumplings simmering in it, tastes better the longer you leave it and sticks to your ribs on the way down so you get a bit of extra padding. Now between you and me, I reckon Urchin's mum, I mean his real mum, I reckon she were under-nourishated, poor love, and that's why our Urchin turned out the colour he is, not that I'd have him any different, Heart love him, they call him a favoured squirrel in that whitewash place the queen come from. And a good hot winter cordial, I'll put a pan of that on the stove now... oh, you in a hurry?

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Hi again Mrs. McAllister,

Belated happy Christmas and happy New Year! Hope you all enjoyed your holidays. :) Oh, and a belated happy St. Valentine's Day, too!

I'm hoping it's gotten warmer over there since you posted this entry? It's very warm here; it's almost summer for us, but all the same I'd love to try some of Apple's hot soup! :)

Wishing you and your family the very best,
Stefani

margaret mcallister said...

At last the sun is shining, and the daffodils have been battling their way through the sleet! The trouble with Apple's soup is that she forgets what she put in it. Sometimes, it's better not to know.