Wednesday 19 November 2008

the naming of

Juliet might have said 'what's in a name', but Shakespeare, speaking for himself, might have said 'a lot'. Why else would he name his characters as he did? Even allowing for the fact that he nicked all of his plots before anyone had learned how to sue for breach of copyright, he had some choice over names. Look at Midsummer Night's Dream. Not a name out of place.

I was reminded of the significance of names by an e-mail from one of my young readers, who very thoughtfully suggested names for possible future characters, some of them very good ones. Characters in books won't tolerate having names thrown at them - there is only one right name for a character, and sometimes you have to go on trying them out until you find the right one. Some strong personalities,like Crispin and Padra, arrive with their own names, and there's not a thing you can do about it. In 'The Octave of Angels' a small and determined young person appeared, and her name was Myrrh. How can anyone be called Myrrh? But she was, so I had to find a reason for it.

Yesterday, I found a packet of bluebell bulbs that I'd mislaid, and finally got them planted. Now there's a sensible name. Tells you exactly what it is. Here's ginger-hair-funny-face signing off for the night.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am so glad I found your blog. I hope you are who you say you are. :) I must tell you the quote "a true heart survives the breaking" said by Urchin has meant so much to me. I think it is a very profound quote and true at all times. I am honored to be able to contact you and tell you this. Thank-you for your lovely stories. From a fan in Runnells, Iowa. :)

margaret mcallister said...

Crispin of Mistmantle sends his greetings to SherJM and is glad to know that young Urchin is making himself useful!