Thursday 17 December 2015

Silent Stars

There's a line in that lovely carol 'O Little Town of Bethlehem' - 'the silent stars go by'. This week a Christmas card arrived with 'Sh!' on the front. The message inside said that I was a 'Silent Star'. Nobody ever called me that before, and I liked it very much.

It's not just me. I'm one of the thousands of people who donate regularly to Greenbelt Festival, a wonderful gathering of faith, music, arts, creativity, social action and fun. Supporters are called Greenbelt Angels, and this card was sent out to all the Greenbelt Angels to thank them for their support and tell them that what they do is unobserved but much appreciated. But I've been meeting silent stars most of my life.

Many of them were old north-eastern women who had struggled heroically through hard times with love and humour. There were the ones who had given their lives looking after relatives, or the Wallsend lady who took refugees under her wing. There was the complete stranger who helped us when Daughter was four years old and was suddenly taken ill. There are the sponsors of children, the knitters of blankets, the hospital visitors and givers of presents to unknown children. You've met silent stars all your life, but you might not know it. Silent.

Be a silent star.


No comments: