Friday 17 July 2015

Flame

Good morning. My name is Brother Flame, I am the priest on Whitewings, and I believe somebody has been asking for me.

This does surprise me. She of the Stories told me about some Franciscan brothers who say that they 'do good and disappear'. In the years when King Silverbirch was in charge, that was all I could ever do. I suppose I got used to it, because that's what I suppose I'm here for. Prayer and love are all that is required of me.

Prayer and love. This sounds lovely, doesn't it? Sometimes it isn't. Not during an epidemic of Vomit Fever, as often happens late in the winter, or the time when a lot of little hedgehogs ate some very dead fish on a summer's day. At times like that, a priest can go through a lot of clean tunics. But it so lovely to see the little things getting well again, and running about the beach. As for the young squirrels, their favourite thing just now is rubbing fine sand into their fur and pretending to be Urchin of the Riding Stars. One of the brightest moments in my life is sitting on a rock by the sea in the evening and watching small animals splash about in the water, chase each other up and down the shore, build castles and skim stones. It is a vital part of a young animal's growing up.

One needs to grow one's heart, that's the thing. She of the Stories and I often talk about how good things and bad things, joyful things and tragic things, are always happening at the same time, and it takes a big heart to manage them both. A heart fed on good things. What grows our hearts? What is good for our hearts?

Now excuse me, for I believe a young lady from your side of the water wishes to speak to me. Why me, I wonder? I must disappear again.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

:) It's good to hear from Whitewings. Hello, Brother Flame...

margaret mcallister said...

They're all at it now. Ever since Apple piped up a couple of weeks ago, Mistmantle creatures are wanting to tell us things. Brother Flame isn't like that, he prefers to stay in the background, but a young lady particularly wanted to hear from him. Is there anyone you want to hear from, Samantha?

margaret mcallister said...

Command Fire! Four Times - you left a comment on Apple's post and I've only just seen it. Welcome to The House of Stories! I've left a comment for you on the Apple post. Have a great time at university, and if you have a moment let me know how you're getting on.