Friday 3 October 2014

Squash

Squash. I don't mean the kind of squash that you drink, or squash as in standing on a rotten apple, I don't mean squash as in thirty people in a normal sitting room. I mean, the squash that you eat.

Years ago when I was nine or ten and read LITTLE WOMEN I realised that a squash was something you ate, but I had no idea what sort of something, or whether I'd like it. We didn't have them in the UK then. We had marrows, which are a bit similar but by no means the same. As for pumpkins, they were only in storybooks. We made lanterns by chiselling the inside out of a swede (that's swede with a small 's', you notice) and believe me, it was like hacking through marble.

It's only in the last, say, ten or fifteen years that squashes have become popular here, and what a range of them! They come in colour from yellow to orange to deep green and I wouldn't be surprised to meet a purple one, and in size from a cricket ball to a hot air balloon. I know people who do wonderful things with squashes. Lady Sunshine is a complete genius of the squash. I bought one today - I forgot what kind it is, but it's dark green and about the size of a mango. I think I'm supposed to cook it whole, scoop its insides out and serve it with butter. If in doubt, I can paint it orange and tell it it's a mango. Or plant it and see what happens. Or hollow it out and make a lantern. Or ask Lady Sunshine. Come to think of it, I should do that first. And do it quickly, before Apple puts in in her revolting cordial. She's got that focused look about her.

3 comments:

JonnyK44 said...

The other day, your post was about making up memorable names. I put the task to my fifth graders and they hoped I'd share the list with you. Some are mine, some are theirs.
Christian Von Snifflepug
Heinrich Von Bopplegoo
Isadora Gube
Penny Nickledollar
Charity Greed
Opal Windbag
Madame Sweety Saltlick
Fiddy Sents
Lord Shinglepaus
Lord Tubbington
Cuddles DeSniffler
Grace Hope
Lord Mushychicken
Mr. Pineapple
Oswald Outhouse
Lady Chattycatty
Alistar Von Gusinhoff Husingha
Ralph Waldo Picklechips
Dr. Coolfailur
Mr. VonSniffle
Latrina Comode
Mickey Nicleplum
Lord Jigglypuff
Minnie Hotsenwhile
Crayolatoya Rainbowsh
Lady Potato

JonnyK44 said...

By the way, we finished Urchin last week and the students broke into applause at the end. Already, students are buying up their own copies and parents are buying up copies for Christmas presents.
I wish there was a way to see a map depicting where the sales of Mistmantle books are highest. I'm sure, if there were such a map, that the Kennett Square area would be one, large, red dot. (No exaggeration, over the past ten years I would bet that my students have purchased over 500 copies of the books).

margaret mcallister said...

Thank you many millions! I don't know what makes me happiest, the names which made me laugh out loud (oh,how I want to steal them) or what you have done for my sales figures.

Your students may want to copyright Heinrich von Bopplegoo, Opal Windbag, and Oswald Outhouse. As for Lady Chattycatty, I've met her, and Latrina Comode works in a nursing home in Nether Poppleton. (Yes, it's a real place.)