Wednesday 8 October 2014

Holly

Books come all at one, like buses. (Have we had this conversation before?) At the beginning of next year, out will come

The Summer Lion (it's not quite like Mistmantle but I suspect that if you like Mistmantle you'll like this book)

Stories of the Saints

and

Fifteen Things Not to Do With a Baby,

my first pre-school book, with illustrations by Holly Sterling who is young, talented, and a delightful person to have lunch with. We met today at a farm shop near Corbridge and talked about the new book, and launching it, and what we want to do next. You will see more of Holly's work in years to come, so remember, you heard it first from the House of Stories.

We're still having warm autumn days, so after Holly and I had sorted out the future of children's publishing I walked into Corbridge to catch a bus home, along a verge of sandy gold seed heads and brambles turning fiery. A tractor was ploughing steadily up a down a field, turning it over, putting the stubble back into the soil and preparing, I suppose, for the winter wheat. A rabbit said 'can't stop!' and ran across in front of me and into a hedge. Coming into Corbridge I caught a whiff of bonfire smoke, and then, and then, I remembered.

Long ago, we used to live in Corbridge. The house on the front of the blog was the manse in those days, and the little dog wagging his tail is Daniel. And this afternoon I found myself walking along the lane where I walked Daniel, or he walked me. First thing very morning when I opened our bedroom door, Daniel would scamper out and go to each of the children in turn to wake them up, then he'd take me for a walk up that lane. It was a sweet memory, but it hurt a bit too.

At this point, I should mention that Tony, the team at Wordpool and I are considering a revamp of the website. At the minute I don't quite know what will appear on it, but I'd like to keep Daniel. If you have any suggestions I will be happy to consider them, but I will have to run them by Much. And probably the Circle, too.

Meantime, look out for Holly.














No comments: