Monday 21 April 2014

Monster

I am being eaten by a monster.

This monster is the Migraine Monster. I imagine it as a big grey blob with spikes, teeth and unpleasant habits. It bit me very hard on Good Friday. At one point I also went all of a dizzy, which was surprising. I nearly passed out, which was a bit awkward as we were just finishing the Good Friday procession. We'd all walked silently through the town, we were in the park standing round the cross, and I dropped to my knees. I wasn't overwhelmed with the solemnity of the moment, I just knew that if I didn't kneel down I'd fall down. Tony took my arm, one of the Anglican clergy held me up on the other side, and they steered me towards the nearest place to sit down and sip coffee. The RC priest came to offer help, too. I was an ecumenical project. It turns out that the Migraine Monster had a go at Lady Sunshine that day as well.

The Migraine Monster has been lurking round all weekend, and I wish it would go away. It chewed at me yesterday and had another go this morning. Sometimes the meds work. Lady Sunshine has been mummifying me with those cold strip things that you put on your head, which are very good. Today I was able to have a wander round the garden and a word with Much, who is just loving it here. He's got quite a smile on his face if you look hard enough.

I don't know if I have defeated the thing or whether it's just gone back to regroup. But at this moment I am pain free and able to say to you -

have a wonderful Easter

be very very very very blessed

if you see a Migraine Monster, shoot it.

No comments: