Wednesday 16 April 2014

Brain like a Puppy

Hello. I've neglected you, I know. That's because of so much happening, but mostly -

Writers write. that's what we do, that's why we get RSI. And I have just this minute finished the first draft of a book I can't tell you about yet.

Since last week and the party on the lighthouse I have copy-edited ARCHIE'S WAR, finished the above, met Holly Sterling, the lovely illustrator of FIFTEEN THINGS NOT TO DO WITH A BABY, done some thinking and correspondence about other books, had a jolly day out with my parents, been to a Quiet Day and lots of Holy Week things, talked the toddler group through the Easter story, had my hair done and bought remarkable quantities of chocolate. It's all Fair Trade chocolate. And it isn't for me.

By which I mean most of it isn't for me.

Holly Sterling is one to watch. You heard it first here. When I had lunch with her on Monday she asked me how I come up with odd, quirky funny stories. I had to think about it because I don't know, but I suppose it's because I have a brain like a puppy that runs after everything it sees. It doesn't help with meditation and is probably the reason why I'm a non-driver, but I suppose it helps with the creative thing.

ARCHIE'S WAR is the most important thing in my world. Finished it. There it goes. The sun has come out. There are things to do in my garden. My garden is the best thing there is. My son/son/daughter has just phoned me. There is nothing better than my children, now I need to shop, I love this shop, here is Tony to meet me, I love Tony! The new book, the new book, the new book, I must do the new book, there is nothing like the new book, I have to finish it. Mum, mum, these are Holly's illustrations, look! Hello, toddlers and toddlers mums and dads, today's story is the best story in the world. Hot cross buns, it's time for hot cross buns. There's the cat from across the road, maybe I'll do a cat book. No, I want to do a dog book. Hello dog.

I have just realised how impossible I am to live with.

No comments: