Friday 21 February 2014

Result!

I spent this half-term afternoon with a lovely bunch of children at Cogito Books. I believe heaven has a bookshop like Cogito. I did readings from URCHIN OF THE RIDING STARS, FAWN, and TEASEL, and we talked about animals in general and wildlife in particular. I like readers to have things to do at signings,, so I brought along some puzzles and pictures, and Claire of Cogito provided biscuits. I think they liked the books, because we sold a lot. Claire and I had to help them eat the biscuits.

One child told me that she'd been given four books for Christmas and read them in two days. Her mum said 'books are supposed to last you a long time!' Don't worry, mum, they will. For ever, if they're good books.

After all our cat conversations this week - and there are some great cat stories out there - they don't have resident cats at Cogito. In days gone by they had a dog which used to move in behind the desk at four o'clock every afternoon by way of reminding the staff that it was time to start thinking about tea. And there is a very pleasant teddy bear, who will be pleased to welcome you if you ever find yourself down that little cobbled street in Hexham. And so will Claire.

One of her recommendations was THE LAST WILD by Piers Torday. I haven't read it myself, but Claire's very keen on it and readers seem to think the same. Worth looking for if you want a book for the half-term holiday. Or when it's not half-term holiday.

No comments: