Tuesday 31 December 2013

thirty-nine minutes

In the UK, it is 23.21, or twenty-one minutes past eleven. In about half an hour we'll push Daughter's Chap out at the front door, so we can let him in again at midnight. The first foot over the threshhold is supposed to be a man, preferable a dark haired one. He was traditionally supposed to bring a lump of coal for the fire. It's gas, so I don't know what we're going to do about that.

There's just time to wish you a Happy New Year before I go and spend a few minutes with God, giving thanks for the good things this year and getting focused for whatever's coming next. Apart from two weddings and a book I don't know what that will be. I can tell you that the book should be out in August, and will probably be called SAVING STAR. It's about a dog, a boy, and the 1914-18 war.

I hope that you give and receive love this year. I hope that whenever the news is grim you are able to see what is beautiful and true and say 'this too is real'. I hope the books you read nourish your heart. I hope you learn something new and teach something good. I hope you have people to laugh and cry with. Be blessed.



2 comments:

Kaitlin said...

Oh, happy new year to you, Mrs. McAllister! May He be the strength of your heart and your joy, this new year and ever and always! (Psalm 73:25-26, Nehemiah 8:10)

margaret mcallister said...

Happy New Year, and thank you for that lovely quote!