Saturday 14 December 2013

Now light one thousand Christmas lights

The line at the heading of this post is from a lovely song the children used to sing at First School. The animals on Mistmantle love their winter festival with their lanterns and candles, and lights are one of the most beautiful images of Christmas. They redeem the grimness of 'darkness by four'.

When I first saw the lights in the West End of London one Christmas I was most disappointed. They were just garish. They said, 'we're Oxford Street, we've got a lot of money, look how much bling we can do'. All to do with spending and nothing to do with beauty. York lights are prettier, cleverer, and a lot more artistic.

In the little coastal town where we lived when the children were small the council didn't pay for the Christmas lights. The community did, with fund-raising all year round. Every shop and every pub had a collecting box. The result was two rows of coloured bulbs zig-zagging merrily across the main street and it was the prettiest thing. Just right. In the village where we lived until recently the local schoolchildren designed the Christmas lights. I am personally acquainted with the designer of the angel, and every year I looked forward to the reindeer with the lopsided nose.

Alnwick's not a very big town, but it punches above its weight. It has one of the most wonderful gardens in Europe complete with treehouses and a breathtaking castle associated with Harry Hotspur* and Harry Potter. The Christmas lights are dramatic, too. The council provides some and the local businesses do the rest. I suspect it's quite competitive.

The Estate Agents lights are Santa Claus with an igloo and a 'for sale' sign

The building contractor has a JCB

The newspaper office has Santa Claus reading the paper, turning his head from one side to the other

A pub called The Fleece has a sheep

There's a rather cute house with sparkly trees and reindeer

And my favourite is Air-Sea Rescue, who have Santa Claus arriving at the White Swan Hotel by helicopter. And the Three Kings ride their camels across the ancient stone Hotspur Tower.

But I think my favourites are the ones in the town where I live. They are so simple. White lights in the trees and on the Christmas tree in the square. that's all. It makes me look forward to the dark. And tomorrow - hopefully, and if I get the act together - there will be white lights in my windows, too. First Christmas in this house.

* I'll tell you about him another time

No comments: