Thursday 18 April 2013

The right music

Does anyone like just one kind of music? I'd be surprised.

For a week I have been working frantically on one of those 'I can't tell you about it yet' things. (It's got a river in it, a mean cat and a man with a secret, but more than that I can't say.) I've never got to bed before half past one in the morning, and last night I may as well have stayed up because my brain (or hamster, or whatever I've got in there) was wide awake and running round on its little wheel.

In the small hours of the morning when all sensible people were asleep and I was back at the computer I listened to one of my favourite Scottish bands, Runrig. (Can also recommend Capercaillie, and if you don't like The Proclaimers, what's wrong with you?) Sometimes if I need a lift it's Sibelius, either the second or the fifth symphony will do.

This evening, having finished the thing with the river, etc, done a playgroup, and caught up with the rest of the stuff that needed doing, I lay down, closed my eyes, and listened to the nuns of Stanbrook Abbey singing Gregorian chant. For me, that feeds my soul.

Let's start a new conversation. What's your music for work, inspiration, energy, peace, or making you laugh?

4 comments:

Nina Ruth Bruno said...

Well, I love music, too...diverse tastes ranging from classical to contemporary. I love old hymns, some vintage 30's & 40's (including humorous, like Spike Jones), classical/opera...but I also love deep, contemporary artists like Jason Gray, Josh Garrels, etc., who remind me who I am when I get lost or forgetful! :-) Pretty much the only thing I somewhat must confess to having always loathed (which most people LOVE) are 80's (or any!) "Power Ballads." Sorry to offend anyone who loves 'em! Boo! For a million reasons!! :-)

margaret mcallister said...

I will look out for the artists you name! I know what you mean about 'power ballads', and I can't bear egotistical crooning. But it depends on the arrangement and who's singing - my daughter's choir do 'Something Inside So Strong' in their repertoire and it's to die for.

Nina Ruth Bruno said...

I don't mind uplifting songs like that...it's just those "I can't live without you, baby, baby" 80's songs that make my ginger hair stand on end! Yikes!!! :-)

Along with Jason Gray & Josh Garrels, another musician (also author of the Wingfeather Chronicles), Andrew Peterson hangs out with them in the Rabbit Room! I think you'd fit beautifully in on their blogroll! My brother has gone to their "Hutch Moot" every year with his wife & they just LOVE it!! :-) Very thoughtful lyrics/music! Beautiful art & writing, too!

margaret mcallister said...

I've just looked at Rabbit Room. I love it!