Tuesday 9 April 2013

Omsk

I had a history teacher who used to say 'Omsk, Tomsk, and all points East', when he meant 'all over the place'. This week I have been to Omsk, Tomsk, and all points East.

Before I start on my travels, read the last set of comments to find about about the best April Fool I have heard about for years. Oh, dear, what devious people are turning up at the House of Stories these days.

After Easter the clergy are always exhausted and ready to succumb to the first virus that floats past them on the breeze (or the blinding Force Nine hailstorm). Tony, however, had already shaken off a cold, and on Wednesday we were on our way for a few days away in beautiful Kent. Hamilton came with us, he likes Kent. What should have been a four and a half hour drive turned out to be seven because of road works, but we got there eventually.

The next morning we discovered that what had just been a bit of a cold had gone to Tony's inner ears and he had vertigo. We booked an extra day to give him time to recover. No problem. It was snowing again and bitterly cold, so it was no problem to stay indoors at one of the loveliest places we know. Tony just needed a couple of quiet days, I was happy to read/write/sew/chat, and Hamilton got on very well with the girl who came to clean the room. On Saturday morning Tony was feeling considerably better and the sun came out to salute him.

It was also on Saturday morning that we heard my Dad had taken a funny turn. There was no way Tony could do a long drive, so I took the train north. By Monday Father was firing on all cylinders, I was able to come home, Tony had already left Kent, and I arrived back back to family and fish and chips. Not the week we had planned, but all ended well. The Sunshines came over (which made Hamilton's day), we all shared silly stories and laughed helplessly, and last night I slept in my own bed. Today we took a trip to Saltaire to do some birthday shopping for a young lady who might just read this so I'm not telling you what we bought.

Hamilton stayed home. He is reading 'A Hatful of Stars' by Terry Pratchett and I want it back.



No comments: