Wednesday 20 February 2013

Somebody recently asked me what I like about the area where I live. To be honest, when I first came to this valley it was a big contrast from the pretty-pretty part of North Yorkshire where we lived before, and it took me a while to settle. Then we moved just a mile along the road, into this village.

I love living so near the river. It's a bit of a grubby, urban river, but it has its ducks and dippers and the heron, and it talks and sings as it wriggles over the stones. I can see green hills from every window. I have great friends in this village, warm, gifted, remarkable people who will be friends for ever.

It's five or ten minutes walk to the little shops, the churches, the health centre, my favourite wee cafe, the library, the primary school, the pub, the bus and the train. People get together to support village events, and to support each other, too. Local volunteers keep the station clean and smart, and plant up the tubs of flowers on the platform. The Christmas lights were designed by local children. For a tiny place we do well for artists. Yes, the rain sweeps down the valley, but without that it wouldn't be the same place. And there have to be some things about it that I don't like, otherwise leaving would break my heart.

No comments: