Monday 25 February 2013

Oscar Froth

Oscar Froth could be the name of a character, too. But he sounds a bit of a lightweight to me, not a strong personality. Perhaps he needs a philosopher's name in the middle - Oscar Socrates Froth. That gives him a bit of gravitas, don't you think?

But it isn't really a character name. I was reading something on-line about what all those famous people wore to the Oscars. Serious suits and frothy frocks. There were pictures of gorgeous gowns and ghastly gowns, some very beautiful and some that looked like a twelve year old's first dressmaking attempts or a bold attempt to recycle the dining room curtains. And then I thought - they're actors, aren't they? They're nominated because they played a part and dressed up. So for future Oscar ceremonies, I think they should all dress up. Pantomime themes would be good. Mother Goose. Cinderella and the Ugly Sisters. Jack and the Giant. The Ghost, and the two guys slapping wallpaper paste about.

I'm rather fond of dressing up. A few years ago I saw that one of our supermarkets had reduced their Easter Bunny stuff when the season was over. They were practically giving away the bunny ears, nose, and tail sets, and you never know when you might need one, so I bought one for me and one for Lady Sunshine (who looks adorable in hers). When our Toddler Group had a Fancy Dress day, I wore my Easter bunny accessories with a white top and trousers. At the end, when we'd packed up and all the children and parents had toddled off, I un-rabbitted myself, did a bit of shopping, then walked home. I put my bag in the kitchen then turned to say hello to Tony.

"You left your tail on," he said.





2 comments:

JonnyK44 said...

Today is Read Across America day...the birthday of Dr. Seuss. We celebrate by having children dress up as characters from books. I'm happy to say that we have a boy in a sea turquoise cape, as well as a little girl in a green cloak.

margaret mcallister said...

How lovely! Please tell them I'm delighted! One of my godsons once went to World Book Day dressed as Urchin - fortunately his mother is a good needlewoman, but even she found a rare kind of red squirrel challenging to make up.