Wednesday 13 June 2012

Hello, Petal!

Helen has done it again.  She just sent, among others, 'personable - someone who can' and my favourite, 'catastrophe' - this cat has won an award in the Olympics.  The day she can get her computer to talk to my blog, look out.

In the North-East of England, a part of the world God made for himself, 'petal', is a term of endearment, as is 'flower'.  'Are you all right, flower?'  'How are you, petal?'.  I was reminded of that at the delightful village of Ford - it's so close to Etal that they're generally known as Ford and Etal.  That was where we found one of those shops that should have come out of a story.  Petals'n'Paper.  (I think the website is petals'n'paper.co.uk, but you'll find it on Google.

You walk through a lavish, thriving garden to a wee cottage with a welcoming door and a welcoming lady, Dorien Irving, and straight into Aladdin's cave.  Almost everything there is made by local craftspeople - cards (lots of them, mostly made by Dorien and her family), framed prints, jewellery, scarves, notebooks bound by hand, and all manner of wonderful things.  They take orders for calligraphy, and do notices and all sorts for the little local community.  Also in the village you can find Taylor and Green craftsmen made furniture, and I think I may have told you about the antique shop.

Another time I'll tell you about the redoubtable Lady Waterford, who had a lot to do with making the village what it is.  In the meantime, see you later, petal.

Archers Update - Ruth's worried, Linda's got hay fever, Amy's obsessed with her ex, Jamie's in a love triangle, Will and Nic want a baby, and Tracey fancies the cricket coach.

2 comments:

Kaitlin said...

It's "contagious" (when the quality of manipulating someone for a personal gain contaminates a person, from so simple a touch as a handshake)! The game is spreading with a will.

nightingale: a wet and potentially uncomfortable evening

Because dads are always one-step-ahead of their daughters in mental chess, my dad came up with:
disembark: to silence the dog

"However" (a repeated question), I pointed out that it seems to be a dual definition:
disembark--(2) to strip a tree of its outer covering

I was raving about the games to someone the other day--games to be found "on the above-lovely flog I bollow!" I must learn not to speak quickly on tongue-tied days.

margaret mcallister said...

It's too good!

You bollow a flog? I came home today and told Tony I'd had coffee with a parcel and put Debbie in the post.