Thursday 26 July 2012

Hello again!

I'm back! I hope you enjoyed reading Tony's blog. I did. It was fun to read my own blog and not know what it would say.

I've just tried something that might let me have my paragraphs back. Then again, it might take out all the punctuation and thoroughly mess me about, and the previews are not always reliable. We'll see.


Exhausted - my friend Edward used to be a horse.


Exhausted comes to mind because I was, by the time I got home last night. And there in the twilight was my weatherbeaten garden doing its very best, and the river making gentle music on the far side of the fence. Tony was just arriving home, too. There were pink roses on the table, and in my absence he had sorted out out a minor problem with an editor, kept up with my e-mails, written the blog, and kept me in touch with anything I needed to know about.


Yesterday - which feels like a long time ago - my sister and I took our parents to lunch at the hotel where Tony and I had our wedding reception nearly thirty-four years ago. I haven't been back since, and it's smartened up a lot since then. All those years ago, I walked into that dining room with the frothy white dress, bouquet, orange blossom circlet, all the works. Yesterday I was the lady in red, considerably more battle-scarred, with a handbag containing hand gel, glasses, mobile phone, pen, notebook, tissues, migraine pills, and a screwdriver. Boy, I've learnt a lot.


You may like to know that I can still get into the frothy white dress.

No comments: