Friday 15 July 2011

Myrtle

MYRTLE

I am puzzled. I often get puzzled, so I don't mind. I drew something that I don't know what it was. Do you know?

I drew some animals. They weren't animals that are on our island. I think it's something to do with She of the Stories. There was a squirrel coloured thing with a big tail, but it wasn't a squirrel because it walked on all fours and had a pointy face and I didn't like it. There was a crawly thing, a jumpy thing, and a bird with a very long beak. And frogs, I knew about the frogs. Do you know anything about them?

I've been asking about the trumpet, too. Mistress Cott says she'll come to look at it. I think she knows something about it.

We bought strawberries, raspberries and cherries today, and picked gooseberries from the garden. I like it in the House of Stories. She says she should make a Summer Pudding one day, and then she said she had an American family to dinner once and they'd never heard of Summer Pudding before. Have you?

7 comments:

Rina said...

No... I don't think I have. Does it involve berries? Sounds like some recipes still haven't made their way across the water yet.

Kaitlin said...

Summer Pudding? I've never heard of it, but it sounds lovely!

Deborah said...

I haven't heard of Summer Pudding either.

My parents visited England about thirty years ago. They stayed with a lovely elderly couple who were actually newlyweds! The lady made an English Trifle for them during their stay. Mother brought the recipe home and it has been a favorite treat for us ever since!

Have you ever heard of a Pig Pickin Cake???

margaret mcallister said...

Summer Pudding on next post. Trifle is pretty good, too, and everyone has their own way of making it.

PIG PICKIN CAKE! What's that?

Deborah said...

A Pig Pickin Cake is a favorite dessert after a southern BBQ.
Pig Pickin Cake
1 box yellow cake mix
1 11 oz can of mandarin oranges with juice
1 cup of vegetable oil
4 eggs
Mix all of the above for 2 minutes with mixer. Bake at 350 degrees in 3 round cake pans for 20 minutes. Remove from pans and cool
Frosting:
1 large tub of cool whip
1 box of instant vanilla pudding
1 15 oz can of crushed pineapple, drained
1 cup chopped pecans
Mix all together and frost cake.
Refrigerate.

margaret mcallister said...

That sounds amazing! I don't recognise all the ingredients, but I suppose 'yellow cake mix' is like any packet Victoria sponge mix? Cool whip, I suppose, is something like whipping cream? And the vanilla pudding, is that something you whip up with milk?

Deborah said...

I wondered if you would have some of the ingredients over there.
Victoria Sponge - I think is the same as a yellow cake mix.
Cool whip is similar to birds dream topping, but it comes already mixed and keeps in the frig.
I couldn't find instant pudding though.
I'm going to make the summer pudding this weekend; it sounds yum!