Saturday 6 February 2016

Golden

I've just had two days in the beautiful, ancient city of York, meeting my agent and teaching writing workshops. I had a wonderful time, and so, I'm glad to say, did everybody else involved. Here is one of the exercises I gave, and you might like to think about it.

Quieten yourself down. Find the still place inside yourself. Slowly, scene by scene, go over yesterday. If you're doing this late in the evening, go over today.

Whatever sort of a day it was, even if it was one you'd rather write off, you will find, as you slowly go through it, that there was a moment of gold, a moment to keep. Something you did, something you saw or thought, some scene you observed, some shaft of light. There was a moment that made you smile, feel good, or laugh a lot. Take that moment. Dust it off, turn it round, look at it. Relive it. Enjoy it again.

When you've done that, make a few notes about that moment. Carry it around for a little while. It may lead you to a story, a poem, a prayer or a meditation. If words aren't your thing, it could lead you to draw or paint, or make music, or do some simple act of kindness. Plant the moment and see what grows. And enjoy it!

5 comments:

Songmorning said...

Sounds kind of like the Prayer of Examen. :)

Unknown said...

Who is that?

margaret mcallister said...

Yes, it is drawn from the Examen. Samantha, it's a kind of sitting down with God and reviewing the day - or the last few hours, maybe - and looking at it again, patiently, without judging, looking at which moments brought you life, or made you feel closer to God, and when did you feel adrift or alienated, and where do you see God in this, and what did it feel like? What are your golden moments? I can recommend it.

Unknown said...

hey I sent you an email from my gdrive. I want you to see somthing.

margaret mcallister said...

Thanks, I've seen the video and replied!