Sunday 4 October 2015

Mistress Tay

Sometimes I don't know why I bother. I am seriously considering resignation.

There was a time on this island - not all that long ago - when one always knew where every animal was. If any creature was not doing suitable work, it had to have a good reason. Tower squirrels were busy in the tower, shore otters were busy with cargoes, moles dug tunnels where and when they were told, and hedgehogs just got on with whatever menial tasks common woodland hedgehogs are supposed to do. But that's not good enough for King - we have to call him that these days - Crispin.

I do my best to keep this island in order. At today's meeting of the Circle, I pointed out that otters were gathering on the sloping rocks over to the east side of the bay and sliding into the water. This was expressly forbidden under Rule 12 of the Reign of Queen Bangle.

"Is there such a law?" asked Docken. Really!

"Oh, yes," said Padra. "My grandfather used to tell me about that law. It was only ever meant to be temporary. There was a minor landslip a year or two into Queen Bangle's reign, which meant that the rocks around there became exceptionally slippery and the water underneath was full of fallen boulders. Anyone sliding down there at low tide would go down like a wet squirrel and hit something hard and sharp. That's why she banned it. But that was a long time ago. Erosion has done its bit, and it's all settled down now."

"That's all right, then," said Crispin. "That law can be repealed. See to it, Tay, and I'll announce it and send the messengers out with the good news."

"And,", I went on, in spite of being dismissed in such an off-hand manner, "There was a law passed by King Brushen - Rule 35 - that all animals capable of climbing trees were to spend three days in every season gathering wood for the use of the archers."

"Brushen was very keen on archery, wasn't he?" said Crispin. "But we don't need all those archers now." And then he stopped being flippant and fixed me with that look - the very unsettling way he has of looking right into one's eyes - and repeated himself, rather firmly and quietly. "We don't need all those archers now, Mistress Tay. Thank you for bringing this rule to my notice. It will be repealed immediately."

When the meeting was finished I left with a firm step to make it quite clear that I did not approve. But I paused outside - sometimes one needs to collect oneself - and heard him say to that annoying little page,

"Urchin, have a word with Needle and Thripple, please, and ask them to unwrap all the Threadings pertaining to Laws and Rules. Arran, Brother Fir, we'll go through them with Mistress Thripple and see if there are any other senseless rules that need to be thrown out."

Well, really. Sometimes I think I'm the only sensible animal on the island. And for that reason, I will not resign.




4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Do forgive me, as this comment is completely unrelated to Tay's post, but how is the young prince Oakleaf doing? :) does he have any interest in posting on this blog as well?

Anonymous said...

Also, do the animals of Mistmantle do anything in particular to celebrate the autumn?

Unknown said...

I think they have an Atumn festival.

margaret mcallister said...

Oh yes, they have an Autumn Festival. It's a great favourite with all the animals because there's so much food around and the colours are so good for making decorations. If it rains they use the Gathering Chamber, but otherwise they meet outside the castle near the shore and have bonfires, dancing, music, hot drinks, and a lot of food. This year Crackle is doing sort of honey sweets and wrapping them in leaves for everyone to take home.

Prince Oakleaf is turning into a wise, thoughtful young chap with quiet humour. I think he'll be very like his father. I'll have a word with him about the blog, though at present he's more interested in running up trees.