Friday 5 June 2015

Fingal and Padra

This conversation between Padra and Fingal is not recorded in The Chronicles of Mistmantle. It took place before the first book starts and I'm glad to say it was not overheard.

Fingal, exactly what did you say to Mistress Tay?

Er - good morning, Mistress Tay?

Fingal...

I said it was a lovely day for laying down the law. Which it is. And I asked her to let me know if she wanted anyone arrested.

She's very angry.

I only...

Yes, I know what you only said. I know you only love get an only rise out of her, but you have to stop it.

But it's such fun! Anyway, you do it.

A lot more subtly, and with the authority of a captain. What I'm trying to tell you is, this island has changed lately. I don't like everything the king's doing, but in time he'll see sense. In the meantime, it doesn't do for a young otter to annoy animals like Tay.

There aren't any... all right, sorry.

This is what I suggest. There are colonies in the north west of the island where the young otters frankly don't have enough fun. They need someone who'll lead them, inspire them, befriend them, splash about in the water with them. I'd like you to go there for a while.

But my friends are here!

You'll make friends anywhere. Anyway, I'm not sending you into exile, I just think it's time you saw a bit more of the island, not just around the Tower and Anemone Wood. I patrol that way myself a lot, I'll still be around.

What about Crispin?

So will he.

Fine, when shall I go?

By the way, if Tay did ask you to arrest anyone, what would you do?

Tell them to scarper.

I thought so.



No comments: