Friday 10 April 2015

Play time

Another sunny day! It isn't going to last long, so I've spent all the time I could in the garden. I've learned to use a saw, and there's no stopping me now. I've dug and planted, potted and pottered, and tried to get weeds out without taking the lily-of-the-valley with them. In previous gardens I've not been able to grow lily-of-the-valley. We moved here to find a border full of them. Of course, I talk to plants. Would you like to go in here? Now, if you don't like it I can move you. Have you got enough sunlight there?

Later, I got to thinking about computer games. I'm of the generation that was all growed up before even Space Invaders or Mario, and have never got into them. Besides, so many of them seem to involve killing things, and I don't want to do that. I've got as far as playing the sweet and not too demanding games that come on the Jacquie Lawson cards. http://www.jacquielawson.com . There's one to do with smashing Easter eggs and it's very therapeutic. I love the crunching sound it makes when you hit one. And then I thought about gardening, and playing, and what sort of a computer game gardeners could do when it's too wet to play outside.

How many geraniums can you put in before the thunderstorm?

Race the slugs to the herb bed.

Plant the bulbs where the cat won't dig them up.

Lily beetle. Nettles. Ground elder. Oh, dear. We're back to killing things, aren't we?

And then I thought stories. You plant saxifrage here, anemones there, begonias somewhere else. Next morning you look out and they've all changed places. Next time they've done it again. A week later the saxifrages are all sitting on the fence, the anemones are swimming round in a pond and there's a begonia up a tree. And next...

No comments: