Wednesday 11 February 2015

The House of Stories

The House of Stories needs a bit of TLC, or at least parts of it do. The man is coming soon to put a cable through to the conservatory and replace the light fitting in the hall. We'll be able to keep warm at one end of the house and see where we're going at the other. If he brings a ladder he might have a look at the roof, because we lost a bit of tile in the last storms.

Then the other man is coming to see if the cooker is repairable. I hope it isn't. It is clever than I am, and knows it, and I'd be very, very glad to see it off to the tip. And he can tell me whether the washing machine is leaking. The washing machine leaking would also be a good thing. It would mean we've got a leaky old washing machine and not a subterranean lake rising under the utility room floor. The decorator is coming to look at the dining room.

In the middle of all this I will make the coffee, direct the traffic and write a story. It'll be easier than it was in one of our former Houses of Stories, the one on the front of the website. The gas pipes turned out to be Ancient and Lethal and had to be stripped out and replaced, which meant floorboards up, holes in the walls, and a lot of gas men and electricians running around underground like badgers. And me, sitting in a corner writing Hold My Hand And Run. The book survived, and last I knew the house was still standing.



No comments: