Thursday 19 June 2014

Bara Brith and Painkillers

Bara Brith is a Welsh tea bread. Ideally it's a bit squidgy with lots of raisins. I'm very happy to say you can get it in Northumberland.

This morning was a first airing for ARCHIE'S WAR because I was reading an excerpt from it for Tynedale Talking Newspaper for the Blind. There was a World War One theme for this edition, and I read a piece from early in the book when the staff at Ashlings Hall in Yorkshire learn that war has been declared. Tony wrote and read something about the bombing of the North-East coast of England.

By the time we'd finished I realised that my migraine tablets needed a bit of help, so I nipped into town to buy some top-up painkillers. Last time I tried Nurofen they worked rather well, so I pottled into Boots to buy some of those. The lass at the counter explained to me that these should be taken with food, either just before or just after a meal.

Well, I thought, I really could do with taking these now, in fact I could do with taking them half an hour ago. By the time I get home and sort out something to eat...

Help was at hand. So was the cafe opposite the park, the one where Tony and LYS and I went on Saturday. I could pop in there for a coffee and something to eat. The free biscuits are very tiny, not enough for two militant painkillers to land on, but not to worry. They do Bara Brith, and it must be the best outside Wales. You never know, I might find myself outside the Cedar Tree with a headache again one day.

No comments: