Wednesday 4 July 2012

socks and staff meetings

To all of you in the USA, a very Happy Independence Day - enjoy the fireworks!

Today was full on hard work but very rewarding as I visited Cockburn School and worked with some of the most focused students I've met.  They particularly liked the scary bits from High Crag Linn.   Some of those kids may well be in print one day.

The school is nearer to the Sunshines' village than to ours, so I stayed there overnight.  Now, as you know from the blog, I'm often away from home and I know how to pack a suitcase by now, but this time I had packed what I thought was a pair of socks and turned out to be only one.  (Also to those of you in the USA, it may be sandals weather over there just now, but it certainly isn't in Yorkshire.  Should be, but isn't.)  What were my options?

Go without socks and end up with feet so rubbed and sore I'd have to crawl out of the door at the end of the day -

wear yesterd - no.  Stop there.  Wearing yesterday's socks is never an option.

Or - and this is the one I went for - borrow a pair from Lady Sunshine.  So I strutted my authorial stuff all day wearing borrowed socks which were a tad big for me, but that's a lot better than too small.  Thank you, Lady Sunshine, and bless your little black socks.

AND -Tony was getting ready for a Staff Meeting this week and commented that maybe taxidermists have a Stuff Meeting.  Do Welshmen have a Taff meeting?  And the British Cabinet is now largely composed of rich  men who went to posh schools, so is that a Toff Meeting?  

I think a new game might emerge.


3 comments:

ninaruth said...

A Stuff Meeting! Lol! Thank you for wishing us a Happy Independence Day & no hard feeling, eh? :-) (We love all things British in my family, so while we cherish our independence, we treasure our roots).

We're glad you didn't wear yesterday's socks! Happy Writing/Teaching!

Nina Ruth (& fellow Mistmantle fans, Lucy, Phoebe, Bridget & Leanne)

Kaitlin said...

Thank you, Mrs. McAllister! Some parts of the US are more-dry-than ideal, so fireworks were not allowed for us, I fear...but either way, we enjoyed a lovely day!

Oh, gracious! A new game! A new game! I'll probably be running about like I'm silly in the head all day after that announcement!

When my brother was small, a friend warmly bade him farewell--"See you later, alligator!" The "given" response should have been "in awhile, crocodile!" Instead, he replied "See you soon, buffoon!" (It took much convincing to make him believe that a "buffoon" is Not a type of monkey.)

percolator: something that makes you cheerful after a delay

margaret mcallister said...

Ninaruth, is that a sword you're holding? I'm so glad you're a friend!

Poor old George the Third wasn't a bad guy, but he never understood independence - not for America and not for his daughters, either!

Kaitlin - pity about the fireworks! 'Baboon' was a favourite insult between my two boys!

Percolater! Oh, yes!