Friday 17 February 2012

Squelch

At present I'm working on two muddy stories. The chances of a third one coming about are pretty good, too. I'm not obsessed with mud or anything, it's just that my ideas just now seem to lead me in that direction.

It's not a good idea to keep repeating yourself in a story (unless you do it deliberately, for effect), so this means brainstorming for appropriate words. (By the way, 'soil' here is 'dirt' in the USA.) It's not just about finding words for mud, but also for what it does, what it feels like, sounds like, how you move in it. Plodge, splodge, gunge, swamp, bog, gloop, clarts (that's a Northumbrian one, as is claggy), squidge, ooze, plop. Thick, squishy. Like chocolate cake before it goes in the oven. But some mud isn't brown, it's grey-green and grim.

I need a bath now. And, talking of baths, the memory stick has recalled everything except its experiences in the washing machine.

No comments: