Tuesday 29 November 2011

Caw, Krrk, WOLF!

What a great day yesterday! With The Lion Classic Aesop's Fables under my arm, in my suitcase and in my head, I spent the morning at Keighley Library. I was working with children from Harden and Eastwood Primary Schools, and the afternoon was spent in Burley-in-Wharfedale Library with another two classes, this time from Burley Woodhead and Burley Oaks.

As I walked into Keighley Library, the first thing I saw was five or six children in blue school sweaters, all lying on their tummies on the floor, reading books. From then on, I knew we were in for a good day.

All the children - and their teachers - were great audiences, attentive, full of good ideas, and happy to join in with the cawing crow, the croaking frogs, and the boy crying WOLF! We made up fables, we pinged with ideas, and the children talked to me about their favourite books. Everyone was well-behaved, pleasant, polite, and a credit to their schools and families, and it was good to see how much they loved books.

So congratulations to all of you, and the teachers, and a round of applause to Christinea, who accompanied me, made sure I was never far from a coffee, and helped me lug the very heavy case up and down steps at various stations. Christinea's job is working throughout a vast area of Yorkshire enthusing children and teachers about reading, and if yesterday is anything to go by she's doing it brilliantly.

No comments: