Sunday 18 September 2011

Apple Tree

There isn't an apple tree in this garden, but perhaps, one day, we'll move to somewhere with a well established one, hopefully a Grenadier or an Egremont Russet. There is a lot to love about apple trees.

My friend Claire may be falling out of love with hers. Her apple tree is going into overdrive. (She lives too far away to unload them on to me, unfortunately.) At present she seems to be giving away apple pie, apple crumble and apple sauce to everyone she ever met in her adult life. 'Here, you won't remember me but we sat next to each other on the train one day in January 2008, would like an apple crumble?'

As she's a GP I don't know how she finds the time for all this, but from apples she has turned her attention to quinces and rose hips. It's years since I got tired of making jam and jelly, but Claire is looking forward to it. Anything to use up the surplus. I suggested that she could always poach the surplus fruit with a little water and sugar and freeze it.

'I can't, she said. 'The freezer's full on the crumble.'

No comments: