Friday 1 July 2011

Daughter

She always loved the magic of music. I knew that almost as soon as I became her mama, seeing the way she marked time to music with her little foot. I always managed to settle her down with Mozart. She was mad keen to sing, and her main ambition was to play the flute.

Masses of hard work over the years. Sometimes I worried that maybe she was making too much of it, but she's a determined little madam and I'd met my match. With a shake of that red-gold mane, she'd pick up her flute and march, or waltz, or gavotte on her way.

She phoned yesterday. She's made it. The way has been hard, sometimes the struggles have left her maimed and mangled, but she's mastered it. Really mastered it, as in Master of Arts in Flute Performance. MA as in Marvellous, Magnificent, Flute Queen, Daughter of a very admiring Margi.

Well done, dove.

3 comments:

Kaitlin said...

Oh, wonderful! Kindest congratulations to her and you all!

Rina said...

Wow! Congradulations! It must be wonderful - for her, and for all of you.

margaret mcallister said...

Thank you both very much! It has been a long journey, with blood, sweat, and tears!