Saturday 29 August 2009

paper kite

I know, I've neglected you. Godchildren went, daughter arrived, daughter and I got into her cute little car and went north to visit family and also Claire, who is on a pilgrimage up the north-east coast. Not one of your 'all in the bus, please' pilgrimages, but the real thing. Walking. My feet hurt just thinking about it.

We stayed with my sister and brother in law at their idyllic cottage. Sister didn't feel so idyllic as her back is crippling her just now, so between her and Claire there isn't a blister plaster or a heat compress left anywhere between Seahouses and Whitley Bay. If Claire were a woman of less integrity she'd be selling plasters to the other pilgrims at twenty quid a pack, and carry my rucksack for the next five miles.

On a rare day off from trudging through the rain, Claire came with us to Alnwick Garden (google it, it's wonderful) where we had tea in a tree and got wet in the water sculptures, then sat in the sun watching fountains and eating ice cream. There have been very few days this summer when I could simply sit in the sun with good company, good views, and ice cream or a cold drink, and I really enjoyed this one, with the best of company in God's beautiful Northumberland.

Home, my wonderful son joined us for a few days, and for the first time since Christmas we were all together. So, so special. And all this in between writing the new stuff, keeping everyone fed and watered, answering the e-mails and letters, and sorting out the garden, where everything had sprouted up during the rain and the gnome couldn't see a thing.

My brother in law, talking about somebody rushed off her feet, said she was 'flying about like a paper kite'. That's me these last two weeks. Flying about like a paper kite. A happy paper kite.

No comments: