Thursday 8 October 2015

Poetry Day

Today is National Poetry Day. I have lots of favourites - Shakespeare's Sonnet 'Let Me Not To The Marriage Of True Minds' is one, and Yeats 'He Wishes For The Cloths Of Heaven'. Anything by Evangeline Paterson, who so kindly took an interest in a new and struggling writer and became my friend and mentor. T S Eliot, including all the cat poems, and I used to share A A Milne poems with my children. But for Mistmantle readers, today I'll offer you this - it's by Kenneth Steven, from the West of Scotland, and is in his collection 'Iona'

The Small Giant

The otter is ninety per cent water
Ten Per cent God.

This is a mastery
We have not fathomed in a million years.

I saw one once, off the teeth of western Scotland,
Playing games with the Atlantic -

Three feet of gymnastics
Taking on an ocean.



And perhaps you'll like this one, too, from the same collection -

After The Rain

I woke at first light,
Listened to the quiet after long rainfall.

Like a strange resurrection
The clouds were torn, blown into pale shreds,
October above them blue and beautiful.
I went out, barefoot, found the meadows lying underwater,
The oaks still above their own reflections.

I waded out through white water,
Swayed back folds of still water,
As the swallows flickered in the morning air
And the Sabbath bells flowed over the valley.

I thought of Christ in the fields of Galilee,
His feet swathing though lilies and water,
Early in the birdsong of the morning.



Let's do more poems! Tell me your favourites!

4 comments:

The Command 'Fire' Four Times said...

Fitting that Poetry Day is also my birthday!

You were curious regarding my name; it's a long story. I volunteered as an assistant teacher for a local Sunday school and one of the adapted classrooms took place in the library. A few years back I wandered around the far end of the bookcases and found a sheet of construction paper lying on the floor.
It was a drawing in purple crayon of a giant crescent-shaped ship with a bunch of stick figures up and down it. There were a ton of squares with holes in the boat and there was a mess of cannonballs flying towards an angry lizard floating in the water, along with copious jagged explosions. Along the top were the words "When the pirites saw Godzila the captin told them to FIRE FIRE FIRE FIRE!!!" (sic sic sic)
I thought it was silly and quotable. There wasn't a name to it so I just left it there and it was gone the next week. A part of me thinks I should do the scenario some justice and write up an accompanying story for laughs, but until then I carry the handle around online as an entertaining reminder.

margaret mcallister said...

That is a great quote. You really should write it up. It's up there with 'elephant, banana, follicle.' In our house, if somebody wants to change the subject they say 'speaking of goldfish bowls'. It came from a schoolfriend of mine and I've no idea where she got it from.

Maybe the lizard was making a lot of noise or the crew were a bit deaf, so he had to command FIRE four times before they got it. Or perhaps he ordered them individually!

margaret mcallister said...

Oh, and a late happy birthday!

Anonymous said...

Edgar Allan Poe, Emily Dickinson, and Alfred, Lord Tennyson are among some of my favorite poets, personally speaking :) I also quite like the writings of Oscar Wilde as well!